It’s a fully-lined coat with a princess-seamed bodice and skirt with box pleats. I haven’t made much outerwear (just a couple of coats), so this was a really fun pattern to test. I made the coat entirely out of fabrics I had in my stash, so it was essentially free!
The pattern is designed to have button closures and an optional sash, but I left both off because I liked how it looked open. I think I’ll have to go back and add in some sort of closure, though, to ward off the wind!
The designer also added in a detachable hood (though I didn’t get a chance to test that). I think I may have to add that to this coat as well to make the coat even more useful.
I’ve worn this coat a number of times since I made it, and I feel so chic in it!
I especially like the fullness of the skirt – it’s fun and flippy. (And a very different silhouette than my normal silhouette.)
This coat was easy to fit – because it has a full lining, I just put that together, adjusted it to make it fit just right (had to take in the bodice a bit to fit me), and then made those same adjustments to the fabric pieces. The only changes I made, aside from fitting the bodice a bit, were shortening the skirt a little and top stitching around the entire coat (my fabric frayed really badly, plus it was really thick so it didn’t press well – the top stitching served the double purpose of securing the seams a bit more and making them lie flat). I left off the optional cuffs.
This pattern convinced me that I need to make more outerwear pieces!